Discounted services are offered at Langley Porter Psychiatric Hospital & Clinics (LPPH&C) for:
- Patients with no insurance
- Patients ineligible for state for federal aid programs
- Patients without mental health benefits
- Patients who are paying more than 10% of their income towards health care costs
Below is a selection of frequently asked questions concerning financial need discounts for patients.
What is the discounted amount?
- All outpatient self-pay patients receive a 40% discount on all fees.
- All inpatient, partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient patients receive a 30% discount on all fees.
- Depending on income, patients may qualify for further reductions under our financial need policy.
How does a patient qualify for financial need?
- Qualifying is based on your total income, and in some cases, a patient's liquid assets.
- Patients must complete the financial need application and provide supporting documentation for all self-reported income and monthly expenses.
- Annual income lowers than 350% of the federal poverty level for the current year will result in approval in most cases.
How will this information be maintained and who will have access to my information?
- All personal financial information will be maintained only in our Financial Counseling Office.
- Information is secured in a locked file and no copies are made.
- Applications will not be shared with your clinician or other departments at UCSF.
- Information will not be forwarded to any credit or collection companies.
- Information will not appear in your medical record.
- Information collected will be used only to evaluate your eligibility for discounted services.
How can a patient receive an application for financial need?
- Ask our front desk receptionist for an application or download the application.
- Call our practice manager at (415) 476-5010.
- Call our business office at (415) 476-7184.
How long will the process take?
- Once we receive your application, the review process takes approximately five business days.
- You will be notified of the outcome of the review.
- Should your application be denied, you may appeal the decision with the director of Patient Care Services by calling (415) 476-7874.
For questions or concerns about credit counseling services:
- Visit the Federal Trade Commission website at www.ftc.gov.
- Call the Federal Trade Commission's toll-free hotline at (877) 382-4357.
Last revision: February 26, 2015