Clinical Psychology Training Program (CPTP)
The Clinical Psychology Training Program offers a one-year general clinical psychology internship (APA-accredited) based on the scientist-practitioner model. Graduates are expected to pursue careers emphasizing research and training in academic/research settings, including those affiliated with health and mental health service systems.
Over the last ten years, 92% of our graduates have obtained research or academic positions upon leaving our program.
The program is designed to train clinical psychologists who:
- are committed to an academic and/or research career
- have a strong record of both clinical and research experience
- are research oriented and want to work sensitively and competently with underserved populations, including minorities, low-income individuals, people with chronic mental illness, and primary care medical patients
In addition to training in service delivery, the program provides specialized research training in:
- post traumatic stress disorder
- substance abuse treatment research and research-practice linkages
- violence and trauma in adults and children
Applicants for the program should have completed the following requirements:
- A minimum of 400 practicum hours
- Comprehensive exams passed
- Dissertation proposal approved
- A minimum of three years of graduate training
- Doctoral degree program must be APA-Accredited in Clinical Psychology
- Official graduate degree(s) transcripts
The UCSF Clinical Psychology Training Program follows the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers (www.appic.org) Match Policies. As part of the APPIC Match, applicants must submit the AAPI (which requires official transcripts as part of the application process).
How to Apply
|Our deadline for receipt of applications is now October 31, 2012.|
The Clinical Psychology Training Program is a member of APPIC and uses the APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI) (available now).
(The 2013-2014 brochure was last updated on September 14, 2012.)
Dale McNiel, PhD, Director
Wynne Bamberg, Administrative Contact
Clinical Psychology Training Program
Department of Psychiatry
University of California, San Francisco
401 Parnassus Avenue, Box 0984-CPT
San Francisco, CA 94143
Telephone: (415) 206-4306
LinksAmerican Psychological AssociationAssociation of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship CentersCalifornia Board of Psychology
Guide to Psychology Licensing in Other States