The Department of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco invites applications for a part- to full-time child psychiatrist based at San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH). This is an important opportunity for a child psychiatrist to pursue a programmatic leadership role and provide patient care in a public sector setting. This position reports jointly to the UCSF/SFGH Chief of Psychiatry and works with the UCSF Director of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. The successful candidate will provide child and adolescent psychiatric services to children and families, and supervise child and adolescent psychiatry fellows and residents as they provide services to the populations served at SFGH. Services are provided for a broad range of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents, and also include medication support. In addition, there is collaborative work with other mental health providers, primary care providers, and others involved in the patient’s care. This is a part- to full-time (50% or more to be negotiated) position in the Health Sciences Clinical series at the Assistant to Full Professor level.
The Division of Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (ICAP) at SFGH provides outpatient and consultation-liaison mental health services to children and youth from birth through age 18. Clinic services are provided at SFGH offices and in neighboring community settings for families who are seeking help for their children, who may have behavioral and/or emotional problems. ICAP offers an infant and early childhood mental health program focusing on the relationships between young children and their adult caregivers. Diversity-informed services are provided to a multicultural population of children, families and professionals throughout San Francisco.
- MD/PhD or MD, completed training in General Psychiatry, board-certified or board-eligible in both General Psychiatry and Child Psychiatry, licensed to practice medicine in California at the time of appointment
- Demonstrated clinical, educational, and leadership skills with strong commitment to an academic career as a clinician-teacher
- Expertise in the clinical care of child and adolescent psychiatry patients
- Demonstrated cultural competence in working with underserved and culturally diverse populations
- Bilingual: Spanish and English (strongly desired)
- Serve as Medical Director of the Division of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychiatry at San Francisco General Hospital
- Oversee the case work of two CAP1s that rotate there 3 half-days a week
- Provide medical consultation to other non-physician therapists at CAS
- Consult to Pediatrics and other programs and committees at SFGH
- Provide patient care which includes evaluation of children, adolescents and their families presenting with a broad range of psychiatric disorders and behavioral and emotional manifestations of neurodevelopmental disorders, medication support services and collaborative work with other mental health providers, primary care providers and others involved in the children/adolescent’s care such as other family members and school personnel
- Participate in teaching, supervision or support of educational programs for medical students, residents, clinical fellows, psychology interns, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students in a variety of disciplines including psychiatry, child psychiatry, pediatrics, and psychology
- Provide individual and/or group supervision to clinical staff both in the Department of Psychiatry as well as in the Department of Pediatrics and other services that provide care to children and adolescents; assure that multidisciplinary clinical staff receive appropriate supervision and regular clinical performance review
- Collaborate with clinical and administrative leadership to develop new partnerships with primary care, school, and community-based service delivery
- Participate in Departmental and/or University service
There are opportunities for direct teaching, supervision and support of education innovations in academically oriented clinical and research educational programs for medical students, residents, psychology interns, and postdoctoral fellows in a variety of disciplines; as well as opportunities for patient care.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF00109