The Department of Psychiatry at UCSF invites applications for a Substance Abuse Clinical/Translational Researcher to be based at San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH). Researchers with a strong interest in alcohol related research are strongly preferred. This is an important leadership, visionary, and collaborative opportunity for the Division of Substance Abuse and Addiction Medicine (DSAAM), the UCSF Department of Psychiatry and the preclinical Alcohol and Addiction Research Group at the nearby UCSF Mission Bay Campus. The Department of Psychiatry has an extensive portfolio of clinical and translational research programs including at the San Francisco Veterans Administration Hospital and a major facility at SFGH which offers significant potential for research and provides methadone maintenance and counseling to a large daily population, medical and psychiatric services, and detox admissions, as well as outpatient treatment for methamphetamine/cocaine abuse or dependence and any co-occurring substance use or psychiatric disorders. As one of the great county teaching hospitals that provides high quality care for the poor and uninsured and where alcohol use and abuse is a significant comorbid condition SFGH is critically important to the academic mission of UCSF for both pre-doctoral and post-doctoral education. The Department’s T32 Training Grant: Drug Abuse Treatment and Services Research Training Program now in Year 20, was positively reviewed for competing renewal in Years 21-25. This is a full-time position and will be filled at the Associate to Full Professor level, with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2014 or thereafter.
- MD/PhD; or MD, Board certified in Psychiatry and licensed to practice medicine in California at the time of appointment; or PhD in Psychology or PsyD from an APA-approved doctoral program and APA-approved internship, California Board of Psychology license or eligibility preferred
- Demonstrated skills in research, clinical practice, education, and leadership with a strong commitment to an academic career as a researcher
- Track record of independent extramural funding with a national reputation
- Demonstrated cultural competence in working with underserved and culturally diverse populations
- Develop and execute a successful program in clinical or translational psychiatric research with a substance abuse focus (alcohol focus preferred) to be determined by the incumbent in alignment with the broad goals of the Department;
- Work closely with the existing research activities at SFGH, UCSF, and other collaborative opportunities, such as community service delivery programs
- Provide programmatic, research and/or client evaluation consultation to DSAAM program directors
- Participate in psychology, psychiatry and medical student training programs at SFGH
- Participate in Departmental and/or University service
There are opportunities for direct teaching, supervision and support of education innovations in academically oriented clinical and research educational programs for medical students, residents, psychology interns, and postdoctoral fellows in a variety of disciplines; as well as opportunities for patient care.
A competitive start up package is available to launch the successful candidate; however, applicants will be expected to compete successfully for extramural funding to support their research program.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, the search committee will begin reviewing applications immediately. Apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF00107